Google Translate is an extremely useful tool for translating words and sentences from one language to another. It supports multiple languages ??from all over the world and you can use this translation service on your iPhone, iPad, Android and other devices.
If you’ve used the app, chances are you’ve only used it for voice translation. It can actually do a lot more, and you need to learn some of these tips on how to use Google Translate effectively.
Download subtitles for offline use
You can use Google Translate to download different languages ??to your device so that you can translate offline. This is a really handy feature as it helps you translate languages ??even if you don’t have an internet connection.
This feature helps the application to work even in countries where it is blocked for some reason.
- Launch the Google Translate app on your device.
- Click on the hamburger icon in the upper left corner.
- Select the “Offline Translation” option.
- On the next screen, you will see a list of languages ??that you can download to your device to work offline. Click on the download icon next to the language you want to download.
- You can now perform translations in the languages ??you downloaded without the Internet.
Use conversation mode to translate effortlessly
Conversation mode allows you to translate voice input without having to click on any options. When you open this mode, you and the other person just need to talk as usual, and Google Translate will translate your conversations in real time.
- Open the Google Translate app.
- Click on the “Conversation” option.
- Click Auto in the middle and Google Translate will automatically detect which languages ??you are using.
- You and your partner can start talking and you will see the translations in real time on your screen.
- You can put translations in manual mode by clicking on the microphone icon in the left and right corners of the screen.
How to Translate Images from Google
One of the really helpful Google Translate tips is to use the visual translation feature. You can point the camera at anything and the Google Translate app will translate the text in that image in real time. You do not need to enter foreign characters in the application for this.
- Access to the Google Translate application.
- Click on the camera option.
- Point the camera at the foreign characters you want to translate and it will instantly translate them onto your screen.
- If you want to get a translation of certain elements in the camera frame, click â€œScanâ€ at the bottom and let Google Translate scan your image.
- Click on a word and it will be transferred to your screen.
- If you have saved a photo of foreign text on your phone, you can click Import at the bottom to import and translate it into the Google Translate app.
- Start the Google Translate app.
- You will see your translation history. Review it and click on the star icon for the translations you want to save.
- To access your saved translations, click the hamburger icon and select Phrasebook.
- Translate with Google Translate.
- Click on the three dots in the translated text section and select full screen mode.
- The translated text will now fill the entire screen.
- Open the Google Translate app and tap the pen icon next to where you enter text.
- Write your text in the Write Here section.
- You will see the translation of the handwritten text at the top of the screen.
- Click on the source language and select the “Detect language” option.
- Select English as the target language to get definitions of words in English.
- Enter a word and let the application translate it for you.
- You will see a section labeled “Definitions” right below the translation field. The dictionary meaning of the word you typed is displayed here.
- Run the application and click on the hamburger icon.
- Select “Settings” from the options available on the screen.
- Press Voice Input on the next screen.
- Turn on the “Block obscene words” option.
- Launch the app and click the hamburger icon in the upper left corner.
- Select “Settings” on the next screen.
- Click “Clear History” at the bottom.
- Select “Yes” at the prompt on the screen to delete the translation history.
Save translations for later access
You can use Google Translate to save your favorite words and phrases so you can quickly access them later. Thus, you can create your own small dictionary that will translate the words and phrases you choose.
Make your translations appear full screen
If the person you want to show the Google Translate translation has vision problems, you can set up your device to display their Google Translate in full screen mode. Thus, the text will be displayed at a much larger size and most people will be able to read it.
Writing to Google Translate
You do not need to enter text to translate it. You can use Google Translate to write words (handwriting) to translate your words and sentences into the language of your choice.
This can come in handy when one is more used to handwriting than typing.
Use Google Translate as a dictionary
If your device has Google Translate, you don’t need a dictionary. This is because this application can provide you with definitions of your words in one translation interface.
This is a lesser known but extremely useful feature of this app.
Block offensive words
If you want your translations not to contain offensive words, you can do so by turning off the corresponding setting in the Google Translate app on your devices.
Delete translation history
Google Translate keeps a history of your translations and you can view it at any time in the app. If you don’t want anyone to have access to this history, you can clear it on your phone.
Do you have any other tips for using Google Translate? Let us know in the comments below.