block and Unblock a Number on iPhone and Android.
Sometimes blocking unwanted calls from telemarketing companies, unknown numbers and certain people in your contacts can bring you peace of mind. But what if you accidentally blocked a friend in the process? Or do you want to unblock someone, but can’t remember how it was done? This guide will show you how to unblock a number on iOS and Android devices.
Note. The steps in this guide may differ depending on your device model (mainly for Android) and its operating system version. We used a Nokia smartphone running Android 10 (with standard user interface) and an iPhone running iOS 14.7.1. On Android devices (from Samsung, OnePlus, etc.) with Android UI, there may be different steps to unlock contacts. If none of the methods listed below work for your device, go to the manufacturer’s website for clear instructions.
Unblock a Number on iPhone
If you remember blocked contacts, you can easily unblock them in the Phone app. But if you can’t remember the contacts, check the list of blocked numbers in the phone settings menu and unblock them accordingly.
In this section, we will show you different ways to unblock contacts on your iPhone and iPad.
1. Unblock the contact from the Phone app
Launch the Phone app, tap the info icon next to the number you want to unblock, and tap Unblock this caller.
If the contact is not in the Recents section, go to the Contacts tab, select the contact you want to unblock (use the search bar to find a contact faster), and select Unblock this person.
2. Unblock contacts in the settings menu
This is the best approach when you want to get a quick overview of all blocked contacts on your iPhone.
- Open the Settings app, select Phone and select Blocked Contacts.
- Click Edit in the upper right corner.
- Tap the minus sign to the left of the contact you want to unblock and select Unblock. This will unblock the number (s) and remove it from your blocked contacts list. Click Finish to save your changes.
Application: turn on sound for unknown callers
iOS and iPadOS come with a feature that automatically routes calls from unknown / unsaved numbers to voicemail. Think of it as a “soft block”. If you are not receiving calls from numbers that you have not blocked, the Mute Unknown Caller feature is probably active.
Go to Settings> Phone> Mute Unknown Callers and turn off Unknown Callers Mute.
Unblock a Number on Android
If you have blocked a number on your Android device and want to undo the action, there are different ways to do it.
1. Unblock number from call log
A blocked number or contact will appear in your phone’s call log with a strikethrough image, ie, a circle with a line through it. To unblock a contact / number, click on it, select the “Unblock” icon and click “Unblock” again in the confirmation request.
Alternatively, tap the crossed-out display, tap the three-dot menu icon and select Unblock Numbers.
2. Unblock the number / contact in the phone settings menu
If the blocked contact is not in your call log, go to the dialer settings menu to unblock the number.
- Launch the Phone app, click the three-dot menu icon in the top right corner. corner and select “Settings”.
- Select blocked numbers.
- Tap the x next to the number you want to unblock and select Unblock from the invitation.
You should also disable the “Block calls from unidentified subscribers” option. This will automatically unblock calls from numbers that are not in your contact list.
3. Unblock number / contact from Google Contacts app
If the Native Dialer app on your Android device does not have a menu to view blocked contacts, you can unblock numbers from the Contacts app.
- Launch Contacts, tap the hamburger menu icon at the top-left corner and select Settings.
- Go to the “Manage Contacts” section and select Blocked Numbers.
Tap the x next to the blocked number and select “Unblock” at the invitation.
4. Unblock number / contact from Messages application
When you send SMS or MMS as spam, Android adds the number to your blocked contacts list. Here’s how to check and unblock numbers blocked by the default Messaging app:
- Open the Messaging app, tap the three dots menu icon and select Spam & Blocked.
- Select the conversation of the number / contact you want to unblock and select Unblock on the next page.
Unblock Contacts Using Third-Party Apps
If you’ve blocked a contact using third-party caller ID apps, you may not receive calls or text messages from that person, even if that number isn’t on your device’s blocked contacts list. Check the contact information in the app, or open the blocked numbers list in the app settings menu and unblock the number.
Better yet, make the proprietary phone app that comes with your device the default phone calling app.
Go to Settings> Apps & notifications> Default apps> Phone and select the default system app for your Android phone.
Block and Unblock Numbers as Needed
It is important to note that the lock and unlock numbers are device-specific. Changing the SIM card to another device is a simple and indirect way to unblock a number.
Resetting your iPhone or Android smartphone to factory default will also clear your blocked contacts list and unblock all numbers. While this is an extreme case – due to the fact that you will lose your files and settings – this is a valid method of unblocking contacts and we offer it for educational purposes.
Let us know if you have any questions or recommendations.
block and Unblock a Number on iPhone and Android
block and Unblock a Number on iPhone and Android