If you don’t already know, an ISO file is a container that can contain multiple files. It is usually used to create backups of your CDs and DVDs. However, you can also create ISO from folders on your Windows PC. There are actually several applications that can help you do this on your computer.
There are many reasons why you might want to create an ISO on your Windows 10 PC. Perhaps you want to keep all your folders in one place. Or maybe you want some of your folders close at hand so you can burn them to discs.
Regardless of the arguments, creating an ISO image from folders on a Windows computer is pretty easy.
Use AnyBurn to create ISO from folders on your computer
AnyBurn is one of the free apps you can use to create ISO from your folders. It is actually an application that helps you burn data to discs, but you can also use it to create ISO files. It has an option in the main interface that helps you add the folders of your choice to the ISO, which can then be saved anywhere on your computer.
- Download, install and run AnyBurn on your computer.
- You will find several options for creating ISO images in the main interface. Find the one that says “Create image file from files / folders” and click on it.
- The next screen will allow you to select the folders that you want to add to your ISO. Click the Add button at the top to add folders.
- If you want to specify any custom settings for your file, click the Properties button at the top. You can then change options such as the file system for your ISO, file naming standard, compression level, and so on. After setting, click “OK”.
- Click Next to proceed to the next screen of the ISO creation process.
- On the next screen, click the folder icon to select the folder where you want to save your ISO. You can also enter a name for your file on the same screen.
- Finally, click “Build Now” to start creating the ISO from the folders of your choice.
Create ISO in Windows 10 using WinCDEmu
WinCDEmu is an open source tool that allows you to create virtual disks from various image file formats on your computer. If you have downloaded an ISO file and want to view its contents, this application will help you mount it as a drive on your computer.
You can also use the app to create ISO files from folders on Windows and in fact it provides you with the easiest way to make ISOs from your folders. All you have to do is install the app and it will add an option to your context menu. Then you can use this option to create ISO from your folders.
- Download and install WinCDEmu application on your PC.
- Right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Right-click the process labeled Windows Explorer and select End Task. You need to close the explorer before you can see the newly added item in the context menu.
- Click the File menu in Task Manager and select Run New Task.
- Type explorer.exe and press Enter. Windows Explorer will restart.
- Find the folder for which you want to create an ISO, right-click it and select Create ISO Image.
- You will be prompted for the name of your ISO and the location where you want to save it. Enter this information and click “Save”.
- It will quickly create an ISO for you and tell you when it’s fully built.
Use ImgBurn to create ISO files from folders on Windows
ImgBurn has been a popular application for creating and burning image files for a long time. If you’ve ever backed up your discs or burned a disc, you probably recognize the app.
The app can also be used to create ISO files from your folders.
- Download, install and open the ImgBurn app on your computer.
- In the main interface, locate and click the “Create image file from files / folders” option.
- You will see a screen where you can add folders to include in the ISO image. Click on the small folder icon and add folders for your ISO file.
- Click on the tiny folder icon next to the destination and choose a name and destination folder for your ISO file.
- On the right sidebar, you will find various options to customize your ISO. With these options, you can change the type of image, label the image, specify constraints, and a few more things.
- Finally, hit the big Create button on the screen to start creating an ISO file from the selected folders.
Use a portable tool to create ISO from folders
If you’re only going to be creating one ISO image and don’t think you’re going to be doing it again anytime soon, you might prefer something that doesn’t require installation. Folder2Iso can really help you as it is a free and portable tool that helps you create ISO quickly without any hassle.
It works on many versions of Windows including Windows 7, 8, 10 and Linux.
- Download the Folder2Iso app and double-click it to extract the actual app content.
- Run the extracted file from the archive.
- You will see a simple interface with a few options. Click on the “Select folder” option and select the folder you want to add to the ISO image.
- Click the Select Output button and select the folder where you want to save the ISO file. Remember, you cannot select the folder you choose to include in your ISO.
- Then, if desired, you can specify additional parameters available on the screen.
- Click the Create ISO button to create an ISO from the selected folders.
- The progress bar will turn green after creating the ISO.
It is recommended to create ISO from folders in Windows so that you can mount them all as one drive on your PC. If you’ve already done this on your computer, please let us know which application you have chosen to do this and why. We look forward to your response in the comments below!