Snapchat is getting more and more creative with every new feature they introduce to app users. From the emoji you need help figuring out the meaning to the hidden filters you need to discover, it seems that app developers will stop at nothing when it comes to entertaining users.
The most popular trick this season is the Snapchat Cameos release. A feature that uses your selfie to swap human (and animal) faces in short videos that you can share with your contacts. Find out everything there is to know about it and how to use Cameos to make your Snapchat conversation even more fun.
What is Snapchat Cameo
Snapchat has turned your face into a cartoon before. Unlike Bitmoji, Snapchat Cameos are essentially short videos or fake GIFs that you can exchange with your contacts instead of emojis. However, in the app, they serve the same purpose as Bitmoji. This gives users a more effective way to express their emotions and reactions in conversation.
To use this new feature, you need to take a selfie in the app to show you what you look like. After that, you will have over a hundred looping videos to choose from. You can put your face on the body of a comedian, morph into an avocado, or stick your face in the latest internet meme
With technology similar to the deep fake that Snapchat uses for Cameos, your selfie doesn’t even have to convey any emotion. The app will stretch your face to fit the cameos and make different facial expressions. So, if you’re ready to be the star of hundreds of different videos, here’s how to create your own Snapchat camera.
How to create your own pattern
To get started using Snapchat Cameos, follow these steps.
- After starting Snapchat, open a chat with one of your contacts.
- Tap the face icon in the message box. Scroll down and find the Cameos logo there (it looks like a double face outline).
- Click the Cameos logo. You will then be prompted to take a selfie. Make sure you are not smiling or frowning when you take this photo. This will make it harder to change your Snapchat facial expressions for Snapchat and will eventually ruin some Cameos.
- You can also choose the gender for your cameos. However, it is possible to skip this step.
- When you’re done taking a selfie, every time you open a chat with one of your contacts, you will receive several different images. You can choose one of the tooltips or choose one of the emotions and responses in the Cameos window.
How to use your Snapchat Cameo
Now that you know how to set up your first cameo, learn how to operate this feature and use it to entertain your friends and other Snapchat contacts.
Delete or retake your cameo selfie
When you take a selfie for Cameos, Snapchat will ask you not to smile. This is because the app will then stretch and reposition it to make sure it is suitable for different looping videos. If you find that the picture you have taken is not quite suitable for your cameras, you can delete it or reshoot it.
To re-take a selfie in Cameo, do the following:
- Open a chat with one of your contacts.
- Click on the emoticon in the message box.
- Find thumbnails, tap More and then New Selfie.
To delete your Cameo selfie, follow these steps:
- Go to My Profile and click the settings icon.
- Scroll down to the Account Actions section.
- Click Clear My Cameo Selfies.
Once you delete your selfie, you won’t be able to use Cameos again until you take a new photo.
Save your cameos
As with Bitmoji, you can use your Snapchat Cameos outside of the app. To do this, you need to save them to photographic film. To save a Cameo from one of your chats, press and hold it. Then click Save to Camera Roll. Now you can send Cameo to another social network of your choice.
Show your Snapchat friends in your cameos
When you first create your Cameos Selfie, Snapchat will give you the option to enable Cameos for two people. This means you can include your Snapchat contacts in your cameras and then share the video with the two of you.
However, if you don’t want all of your Snapchat contacts to be able to create Cameos with you, you can choose that in the Cameo settings. Follow these steps to choose who can represent you in their Cameos:
- Go to My Profile and click the settings icon.
- Scroll down to find the Who Can section.
- Click Use My Cameo Selfie.
- Select one of the options: Everyone, My Friends, or Just Me. Note that the latter will disable the Cameos with two people.
Regardless of which option you choose, Snapchat users you blocked earlier won’t be able to create a two-person Cameo with you.
Snapchat Cameos When Deep Fake Gets Good
While the main purpose of this feature is to have fun with friends on the app, Snapchat offers a new round of deep fake technology. And this time it looks like it won’t hurt anyone.
Deep fakes are notorious for being used for cyberbullying and as a propaganda weapon. However, this time you can just use them to entertain other people. Just make sure you are always safe. Learn basic Snapchat privacy tips before you hit the road and share too much personal information in the app.