Forgot Your iPhone Passcode? Hereâ€™s What To Do.
If you don’t use your phone regularly, it’s easy to forget your iPhone passcode If you forget your password, it means you won’t be able to access anything on your device. You don’t even have access to the iPhone’s factory reset option to set a new password.
Fortunately, there are a few things you can do when you forget your iPhone passcode These methods include using some of Apple’s standard tools to erase data from the device, remove the password, and then set up the device as a new phone. One of these methods will also help you recover your data if you made a backup before forgetting your password.
Restore your iPhone when you forgot iPhone passcode
If you’ve been using your iPhone for a while, chances are you’ve restored it using iTunes to fix the problem. You can use the same recovery option to reset your password. This will erase everything on your phone, including the passcode, and then allow you to restore the backup if available.
- You must sync your iPhone with the computer at the address at least once, and you must use the same computer to do this.
- Find My iPhone must be turned off on your device. If you have it enabled, you will be prompted to disable it, which cannot be done, since your phone is locked.
Remember, this will erase all data on your iPhone and then allow you to restore data from one of your backups. If your backups are too old, then your data will remain.
- Connect iPhone to your computer with a USB cable.
- Launch the iTunes application on your computer. Use Finder if you have the latest version of macOS.
- Click the iPhone icon in the application and select “Summary” in the left sidebar.
- On the right sidebar, you will find options for deleting data from the device. Click the “Restore iPhone” button to restore your device.
- Wait while it reinstalls the iOS operating system on your iPhone.
- When done, click the Restore Backup button to restore your data.
- Use the drop-down menu on the screen to select a backup and click Restore to install the backup to your iPhone.
- You need to reset your iPhone password and restore all data on your phone.
Erase your iPhone from iCloud when you forgot iPhone password
If you’ve never synced iPhone with iTunes, there is no way to recover data on your device. However, you can still wipe your phone using one of the options on Apple’s iCloud platform, and that should make your phone usable again.
- You must know the password for your Apple account as you will need it to sign in to the site.
- Find My iPhone must be enabled on your iPhone as iCloud will interact with your phone remotely.
The great thing about using this method is that you don’t need physical access to your device. It can be anywhere in the world and you can still erase it.
- Open a new tab in your browser and go to the iCloud website. Sign in to your account if you are not already signed in.
- On the next screen, find and click Find My iPhone.
- You will most likely be prompted for your Apple password to continue. Enter your password and click “Login”.
- Click All Devices at the top to view your devices. Select your iPhone from the list to view the available options.
- You will now see various actions that can be performed on the iPhone – all remotely. Since you want to work around the password problem, click on the “Erase iPhone” option to erase the data from the device.
- You will receive a message that everything on your device will be deleted. Click Erase to start erasing data from your phone.
- After erasing your iPhone, you can start setting it up as a new device.
Please be aware that once data is erased from iPhone, you will not be able to track and / or perform any actions on it from the iCloud website. To do this, you will have to link it to your account again.
Use Recovery Mode to Reset Your iPhone
If Find iPhone is not enabled on your iPhone and you have never synced it with iTunes, the best solution is to use Recovery Mode from iTunes to restore your phone. It will erase everything from your device, including your password, and let you set it up as a new device.
iTunes can recognize any device, even if it hasn’t been synced before, as long as it’s in recovery mode. The main purpose of this mode is to help you restore devices when you cannot access your devices or they won’t boot for whatever reason.
Boot iPhone into recovery mode
Depending on which iPhone model you have, you will need to follow the appropriate steps to put your device into recovery mode. Do not close iTunes or Finder when doing this.
iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone X or later
- Turn off your phone.
- While holding the side button, connect iPhone to your computer.
iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Turn off your phone.
- Press and hold the volume down button and connect your phone to your computer.
- Do not release the button until you see the recovery screen.
iPhone 6S or earlier
- Turn off your phone.
- Press and hold the Home button and connect iPhone to your computer.
- Release the Home button when you see the recovery screen.
Recover iPhone in Recovery Mode with iTunes
- iTunes or the Finder will detect your device.
- A prompt will appear asking if you want to restore or update your iPhone. Click the “Recover” button to erase the data from the device.
- It will download the required firmware and install it on your iPhone.
- You can now set up your phone like new.
If you ever say, â€œI forgot my iPhone password,â€ don’t panic, there are several ways to work around the problem on your device. You can choose the method that best suits your situation to get your iPhone working again
Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you couldn’t remember your iPhone passcode? What did you do? Let us know in the comments below.