Your Windows 10 computer stores downloaded files in a specific folder on your hard drive. Optionally, you can change this default boot location on Windows 10 PC to any other folder you like.
There are many reasons why you might want to change the default download folder on your computer. Maybe you want to keep your downloaded files in a specific section? Or maybe you are starting a new download task and want to store all these files in a specific folder?
There are several ways to change the default boot location in Windows 10.
Change default download location using File Explorer
One way to change the default download location is to use the File Explorer utility.
- Use Cortana’s search to find this computer and open it.
- Browse to the drive where you want to make the default downloads folder.
- With the drive selected, right-click any empty space and select New. followed by a folder.
- Enter a name for the new downloads folder. Your future uploaded files will be available here.
- Go to the root folder on this computer to see the Downloads folder.
- Right-click the Downloads folder and select Properties.
- On the next screen, click the tab that says Location.
- On the Location tab, you will see the current path to the Downloads folder. To change this folder, click the Move button.
- Your computer will allow you to select a new default download folder. Browse to the drive where you created the new folder and select it.
- Click Apply and then OK to use the newly selected folder as the default download location.
- If you ever want to return to your old downloads folder, click the Restore Defaults button and the settings will be reset.
- Create a new folder that you want to use as the default downloads folder. It can be anywhere on your computer, or even mapped drives.
- Open the newly created folder using a file explorer.
- You need to copy the path to the new downloads folder. Click the address bar, highlight the full path and press Ctrl + C on your keyboard to copy the path.
- Press the Windows key + R keys at the same time to open the Run window.
- Type the following in the Run box and press Enter. The Registry Editor will open.
- When Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following path.
HKEY_CURRENT_USERS Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer Custom Shell Folders
- In the right pane you will see several registry values that can be changed. Find the entry with% USERPROFILE% Downloads in the Data column and double-click it.
- Place the cursor in the Value field, delete the existing content from the field and press Ctrl + V to paste the path to the new downloads folder. Then click OK to save your changes.
- Restart your computer.
Change default download location using Registry Editor
The Windows Registry Editor lets you customize many of the settings on your computer. This includes changing the default download location on your Windows 10 PC. You only need to edit one value in the registry and the folder you choose will become the new default download location.
Change the default download location for different file types
Windows 10 has a feature that allows you to select different drives to save different types of files. With this function, you can change the storage location on your computer of applications, documents, music, etc.
However, you cannot select a specific folder. You can only select the drive where the new content will be saved.
- Open the Start menu, search for Settings and open it.
- Select the option labeled “System” on the next screen.
- Click on “Storage” from the options available in the left sidebar.
- You will see information about the repository in the right pane. Scroll down and select the “Change where new content is saved” option.
- On the next screen, you will see what content is saved and where by default. To change the default download drive for a specific content type, click the drop-down menu next to the file type and select the desired drive.
With this feature, you can change the default download location for the following items.
- TV Shows
- Offline Maps
Change default download location in Microsoft Edge
You can change the default download location in Microsoft Edge on your computer so that future downloads are saved in the folder of your choice.
Changing this setting only applies to this browser. Other browsers will continue to save your files where they used to be.
- Open the Start menu, search for Microsoft Edge and launch it.
- Click on the three dots in the upper right corner of the browser and select the Settings option.
- On the left sidebar of your screen, you will see several options. Find the Downloads option and click it. This option will allow you to change your download settings.
- On the right sidebar, you will see an element labeled “Location”. Edge is currently saving your files here. To change the default downloads folder, click the Change button.
- An explorer will open where you can select a new folder as the default downloads folder. Click a folder and select “Select Folder”.
- If you want Microsoft Edge to ask where to save a file every time it downloads something, select the Ask where to save each file before downloading radio button.
If you are using the download manager to download files, you need to go to the download manager application settings and change the default download location. Many applications do not use the default Windows Downloads folder as their download location.
Have you ever had to change the default download location on your Windows 10 PC? What method did you use for this? We’d love to know about this in the comments below.
Comment on “How To Change Default Download Location In Windows 10”