When it comes to streaming music, few services have the reach, appeal, and variety that Spotify offers its users. Some users have been using Spotify since its first launch in 2008, and their musical tastes have evolved over time. The music industry has changed, and so have the listeners.
You might be a little confused by your music listening habits, but don’t worry – there is a way to hide your undercover teen drinking on Fridays by keeping your public Spotify profile as anonymous as possible. If you want to change your Spotify username, you need to do the following.
Can you change your Spotify username?
Before you go to Spotify settings and change your username, it’s important to understand the limitations. You can’t actually change your Spotify username, but you can change your display name in the Spotify mobile app, which will then appear on your Spotify public profile.
This change will apply to your overall account, meaning your updated display name will appear on your profile on the Spotify desktop app, on the Spotify web player, and on your public profile for others to view. You and others will see this name, for example, when creating a shared playlist.
You cannot add your own display name using the web or desktop interface, but you can link Spotify to your Facebook account as an alternative. This will update the display name to use the name used on your Facebook profile.
How to change Spotify display name on Android, iPhone, or iPad
To manually set the display name for your Spotify profile, you need to do so using the Spotify mobile app. These steps are only relevant for standard Spotify users. If you are using the Spotify for Kids app, you can change the display name for kids using the app in the parental settings area.
The steps are the same for Android, iPhone and iPad users, as Spotify’s interface is similar across all platforms.
- First, open the Spotify app on your mobile device. Click Home, then click the Settings gear icon in the upper right corner to access Spotify settings.
- In the Settings menu, tap your name at the top, where View Profile appears in a smaller font below your name.
- Your public profile will be displayed here. Click the Edit Profile button under your existing display name to change this.
- From the Edit Profile menu, you can change the display name and photo displayed on your public profile (visible on all platforms). Make the appropriate changes, then click “Save” in the upper right corner to confirm.
After making the changes, you will be returned to your public profile. The display name of the update will be displayed here. If you need to change it at any time, repeat the steps above for this.
Any changes you make will be immediately applied to your profile and visible in your Spotify app on all other platforms.
Use your Facebook name as a display name in Spotify
As we mentioned, it is not possible to change the Spotify display name on desktop devices either through the Spotify desktop app or on the website. However, you can link your Facebook account to Spotify using the desktop app, which will update your profile display name to match your Facebook name.
This process should be the same for both Windows and Mac platforms.
- To link Facebook to your Spotify account, open the desktop app and tap the Home tab in the left menu. From here, click your name (display name or username) in the upper right corner and select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- In the Settings area, click the Connect to Facebook button in the Facebook section.
- You will need to log into your Facebook account in a pop-up window. Enter your Facebook username and password here, then click Login to continue.
- Facebook will ask you to confirm that you really want to link your Spotify account to your Facebook profile. This will include the transfer of information from your Facebook profile (including your name and date of birth). Click the Continue As button to confirm that you are happy with the information provided, or click Edit first to select the information you want to share.
- If you choose to edit any information sent to Spotify, click the sliders next to any of the information listed to deselect it, then click Continue As to continue.
Your Facebook information, including your name and display image, should now appear on your Spotify profile, replacing your pre-existing display name. You can remove this link later if you need it.
- To disconnect Facebook from Spotify (and remove your Facebook name from your Spotify profile), press Home on the Spotify desktop app. Click your name in the upper right corner, then click Options. In the Facebook section, click the “Disconnect from Facebook” button.
The connection between Spotify and Facebook will be broken here, but you may need to access Facebook’s privacy settings to completely remove any connections between Spotify and Facebook. After removing the link, your display name should revert to the name you set earlier (or automatically by Spotify).
If you do not delete the Spotify-Facebook connection in your Facebook privacy settings, you can restore this link by clicking the Connect with Facebook button again – your display name should update immediately.
Get the Most Out of Spotify
Knowing how to change your Spotify username is just one of the many Spotify tips and tricks you can use to get the most out of the service. Spotify is multi-platform, so you can play the same tracks on your PC, mobile devices, or even your smart Alexa speaker.
Of course, there are alternative streaming services out there if you’re bored with Spotify’s recommendations for new music. Apple Music is a good competitor to Spotify, and if you like this service, you can convert your Spotify playlists to Apple Music easily. Share your music streaming tips with us in the comments below.