Snapchat may not be the largest social media platform in the world, but it’s still very popular, especially among the younger generation.
It offers tons of creative features, from selfie filters to fun stickers, Snapchat images, fancy lenses, and even turning your face into a cartoon All this allows you to quickly send fun and creative pictures to your family or friends, but you can also view special content to keep yourself entertained.
One of its best features is the ability to send self-destructing messages, images and videos that disappear a few seconds after they are posted, which is a lifesaver, especially when you accidentally share potentially embarrassing snapshots.
As fun as the app sounds, it’s not for everyone. If you created a Snapchat account just for fun, like to find out what it looks like, or to understand the hype around the app, or you have an account for a while but for some reason you want to give up the towel, we’re going to show how to permanently delete your Snapchat account.
Reasons for Deleting Snapchat Account
For many users of any social media or online platform, privacy matters a lot. Snapchat is known for and prides itself on user privacy, which is one of the reasons for its popularity.
However, this is not the grandiose it was a few years ago, especially after the Cambridge Analytica scandal, when data from millions of Facebook users was collected, and many Snapchat users began to doubt their silence about this.
The fact that Snapchat didn’t come up and take advantage of this moment to capitalize on its strengths or even comment on Facebook’s weaknesses seemed odd in the eyes of its users. Another thing is that over time, most of its popular features were seen on Facebook and Instagram as well, which is especially strange.
Snapchat also announced App Stories in April 2019, a feature that allows users to share content from their cameras with another app’s “Story”, and this has raised a lot of questions about user privacy as the data must be temporary, as always.
This and other reasons have led some users to want to permanently delete their Snapchat account, as it is unknown if a similar scandal would break out if their data were made available to other apps.
How to download your Snapchat account data
Before deleting your Snapchat account, you may want to get a complete breakdown of all Snapchat data, such as your account information, your friends’ overview, login history, profile data, Snap history, location, and search history.
If you have a verified email address, follow these steps to download your Snapchat data:
- Sign in to your personal account by going to accounts.snapchat.com in your browser and click â€œ My data “.
- Scroll down the page and click the yellow “Submit Request” button.
- You will be notified that they are working with your data and will email you when they are ready. Check your verified email for an email with a download link for your data when it’s ready to download and click on the link to download your Snapchat data. It will be in the form of a ZIP file labeled “My Data”.
- Open Snapchat in a web browser on your computer, scroll down and click Support at the bottom of the screen under the Community heading.
How to delete a Snapchat account
- Open Snapchat in a web browser on your computer, then scroll down and tap Support at the bottom of the screen directly below the community header.
- Click My Account & Security.
- In the left pane, click Account Information.
- Select “Delete my account”. The screen will show you your decision to delete your Snapchat account and how to do it.
- Then go to the Accounts Portal in your browser and enter the username and password of the account you want to delete.
- Enter your username and password again and click Continue.
Whether you’re using Snapchat on an iOS or Android device, the uninstallation process is the same, but to uninstall an app from your phone, tablet, or iPad, you don’t need to log out first – just uninstall it.
For iOS devices, tap the Snapchat app icon, tap the cross and select Delete. On Android devices, tap on the app and select â€œUninstallâ€ or drag it to the trash can icon or the â€œUninstallâ€ button.
Note. You cannot remove your Snapchat account from the mobile app; it only works in the desktop version of the app. If your priority is to uninstall Snapchat from your device, you can uninstall this app just like any other.
This “think-over” period is provided in case you change your mind and decide to reactivate your account, in which case you should keep your username and password.
During the deactivation phase, your friends list will not be able to contact or interact with you on Snapchat. Once deactivated, you will not be able to log into your account with your email address, nor will you be able to change your password.
How to reactivate your Snapchat account
You can restore your Snapchat account at any time within 30 days by logging into the Snapchat app again using the username and password you used in the previous steps. You will receive a message asking you to confirm reactivation, so click Yes.
This process can take up to 24 hours before your account can be reactivated, but you will receive a notification email when your account is ready to use again.
Erase Your Snapchat Presence
We hope you now know how to delete your Snapchat account. If you want to shut down all of your social media platforms, we have simple guides to help you.
- How to remove a Gmail account
- How to remove Facebook pages, groups, and accounts
- How to remove a YouTube account
- How to Delete Instagram Account
- How to Delete Twitter Account