Like Facebook, its parent corporation, Instagram is no stranger to privacy scandals.
In addition to a security vulnerability found in the upload of your data function that leaked passwords for some users, there are several other ways the platform can threaten your privacy.
For example, there is a default setting that automatically tracks the user’s location, updates their DM service, which informs other users when you are active and when you were last active, and also shares your in-app activities like comments, likes and more. with other users.
Even worse is the competition for likes, comments and fame on Instagram, which got out of hand and had a psychological impact on some users, especially the younger generation.
Whatever your reason for wanting to end it all, we’ll show you how to delete your Instagram account once and for all.
How to delete an Instagram account
Like Facebook, Instagram also gives you the option to disable or delete your account.
When you temporarily deactivate your account, all your photos, comments, likes and your profile will be hidden until you log in to reactivate it. When you permanently delete your Instagram account, all of your photos, comments, videos, likes and your profile will be permanently deleted and you will no longer be able to get them back.
Note. Once deleted, you will not be able to register again with the same username, add it to a different account, or reactivate it.
How to temporarily disable your Instagram account
How to temporarily disable Instagram account
To temporarily disable your Instagram account, log into Instagram from a browser on your computer or mobile device (not using the Instagram mobile app).
- Click or tap your profile photo in the upper right corner.
- Then click or tap Change Profile.
- Scroll down and click or tap “Temporarily Disconnect My Account”.
- Go to the drop-down menu next to Why are you disconnecting your account and select the option you want.
- Re-enter the password.
Note. You will only see the option to disable the account after choosing a reason from the drop-down menu and entering your password.
- Click or tap the Temporarily Disable Account button.
If you cannot remember your password or username, you will not be able to log in to temporarily disable your account. However, you can try some of the tips below if you’ve forgotten your Instagram username or password:
Reset your password using your phone number, email address or Facebook account. To do this, go to the Instagram app and follow these steps depending on your device:
For Android, tap Get Login Help on the login screen, select Use Username or Email, Send SMS, or Login with Facebook. Enter your details and follow the instructions.
On iPhone, tap Forgot Password on the login screen, tap Username or Phone, enter your email address, phone number, or username, and tap Next.
If you don’t know your username or can’t find your account, have a friend log into your profile and take a screenshot of your username, or check the email from Instagram with your account information. When entering a username, exclude the @ symbol and see if it displays the correct username when you enter it in the login screen.
If you don’t want to deactivate or delete your account, there is one more thing you can do. For example, you can block people or make your messages private instead.
Permanently delete your Instagram account
By following the steps below, you will not be able to register again with the same username or add it to a different account. You also cannot reactivate it. Only follow these steps if you really want to permanently delete your Instagram account.
Upload a copy of your Instagram data
To do this on your computer:
- Open Instagram in your web browser, go to your profile and click the gear icon to open the settings.
- Click Privacy & Security.
- Go to the account details section and click View Account Details.
- Click View All to view specific data types.
- If you are viewing data from your iPhone or Android device, go to your profile and tap the burger menu icon.
- Click Settings.
- Then click Security> Data Access.
- Click View All to view specific data types.
You can request a download of all your data, which will be delivered to you in JSON format.
- Log into Instagram on your PC via a web browser, click on Settings> Privacy & Security.
- Click on “Request Download” in the “Download Data” section.
- Enter your email address and click Next. Your details will be sent to you as a link within the email.
- Enter your Instagram account password and click “Request download”.
- Check your email account for an email with the title “Your Instagram info”. In the letter you will find a link to your data; click “Download Data” and complete the download of all your information.
Upload your data with the Instagram app
If you are using a mobile device to download data from Instagram:
- Go to your profile and click menu> Settings.
- Click Security.
- Then click Load Data.
- Enter the email address where you would like to receive a link to your details and click “Request Download”.
- Enter your password and click Next> Done, then check the email with the heading Your Instagram info. Here you will find a link to your details. Click on it and follow the instructions to complete the download of all Instagram info.
Note. If you don’t see an email with a link to your details, please try again later as it may appear in your inbox within 48 hours. Instagram also temporarily stores some data for security reasons, but you won’t see it when you view or download it.
How to Delete Your Instagram Account
How to delete your Instagram account
To permanently delete your Instagram account:
- Log in to your account in a web browser or computer (not the Instagram mobile app) and go to your account deletion page.
- Go to the drop-down menu next to Why are you deleting your account, select an option (reason) and enter your password again.
- After choosing a reason, the option “Delete my account permanently” appears. Click this option and follow the instructions to remove the account.
- Click OK to confirm your action.
- You can delete another account by clicking or tapping the username in the upper right corner of the Delete Account page, clicking or tapping on Settings and choosing Sign Out. Sign in to the account you want to delete and follow the same steps as above to delete it.
Did you manage to delete your Instagram account by following these steps? Let us know in the comments below.