It is quite difficult to tell one top-tier smartphone from another these days. This is why the likes of Apple and Samsung push it so hard to set their latest and greatest phones apart from the pack. Sometimes this leads to really cool tech like a folding screen, and sometimes you get a dividing notch on the screen.
One of these unique features is the addition of an extra hardware button on the latest Samsung Galaxy S phones. Located under the volume rocker, you don’t immediately see what the button is for. If you press it, a digital assistant named Bixby appears and asks if you need anything. Bixby is Samsung’s attempt to compete with the likes of Siri, Alexa and Google Assistant
Whether you like Bixby or not, the button itself turns out to be a problem for many users. It’s all too easy to accidentally bring up Bixby when you’re just trying to adjust the volume. That’s why you’ll be glad to know that you can turn it off completely.
Register or Login
Register or login
The very first step is to make sure you are signed in to your Samsung account. If you didn’t create a Samsung account when you first activated your phone, you need to do so now. If you need to sign in or create a Samsung account, here are the steps regarding Bixby.
- First, press the Bixby button or swipe to the right from the home screen. This will take you to Bixby Home.
- Click Next if prompted, select your language if necessary, and then click Sign In or create a new account.
However, most people will already be logged in if they follow the instructions for phone activation. From now on, we will assume that you are signed in.
There are two functions associated with the Bixby button. You can turn them off as you see fit. The first one brings up Bixby Home and requires just one button press. This is a feature that can be annoying to bring up Bixby Home when it’s least convenient.
The second function occurs when you press and hold the button. This makes the Bixby assistant listen to what you have to say and is called Bixby Voice. Basically, it works like a power button, but you are talking to a software agent.
It’s up to you if you want to turn off Bixby Home and Bixby Voice, so let’s take a look at both.
Disable the Bixby Home button shortcut
- Go to Bixby Home by pressing the Bixby button or swiping right on the Home screen. Now tap the gear icon at the top of the Bixby home screen. A window with Bixby Key settings will appear.
- Tap the switch to disable the Bixby Home shortcut.
Now pressing the Bixby button will do nothing, rejoice!
Turning off Bixby Voice
- First, go to the Bixby home page by pressing the Bixby button or swiping right on the home screen.
- Tap the three dots at the top right of the screen.
Disable Bixby Voice
- First, go to Bixby Home by either pressing the Bixby button or swiping right on the home screen.
- Click on the three dots in the top right of the screen.
Tap Settings and under Voice, tap the switch to disable the shortcut to the Bixby Voice button.
Now even a long press of the button will not bring up Bixby.
Peace at last!
Peace at the end!
Now you can enjoy uninterrupted phone calls without the hassle of a friendly AI butler.
If the rudimentary button bothers you, you can always use the remapping app to give it a different function, but of course this just returns the problem of accidental clicks. However, this is your button and you can choose what it does.
Comment on “How To Disable The Bixby Button On Samsung Galaxy Phones”