Your internet connection isn’t always the cause of slow download and upload speeds. Sometimes your Windows 10 PC will limit your speed for a variety of reasons. Fortunately, you can change these throttling settings and increase the download and upload speed on your Windows 10 computer.
You can change all of these parameters yourself without the help of your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Change the bandwidth limit in Windows 10
Windows 10 uses a portion of your bandwidth to download updates for Windows and apps. If it is using too much bandwidth, you can add a limit
- Open the Settings app.
- Click Update & Security.
- Select Advanced Options. from the middle panel.
- Scroll down and click Delivery Optimization.
- Select “More Options” at the bottom.
- You will see a slider for boot and boot settings. Here you can specify the amount of bandwidth that Windows can use for basic tasks.
Close apps that are using too much bandwidth
Some applications use an Internet connection to download, upload, and sync files. To improve your download and upload speed, you should keep these apps closed or disabled when you download or upload something.
These data collection applications can be found in the menu on a Windows 10 PC.
- Start the Settings application.
- Select Network & Internet.
- Select Data Usage from the left sidebar.
- Click View Application Usage for Each Application in the right pane.
- You will see your applications and the data they use. Find apps that are using too much of your data and disable or close those apps.
disable metered connection
Limited connection allows you to set a restriction on the data usage of your internet connection. If this feature is enabled on your current connection, you must disable it to increase your download and upload speed.
- Open “Settings” on your PC.
- Select the Network & Internet option.
- Click the Edit Connection Properties option.
- Scroll down until you see “Measured Connection”. Set the switch for this option to OFF.
Your internet connection is no longer limited.
Turn off background apps
Many applications running in the background use your internet connection. As a result, the download and upload speed is reduced.
You can turn off the background apps option on your PC. This will prevent all your apps from running in the background.
- Start the Settings app.
- Select the Privacy option.
- Scroll down in the left sidebar and select Background Applications.
- In the right sidebar, switch the “Allow apps to run in the background” option to OFF.
- You can also select individual applications so that they do not run in the background.
Delete temporary files
Too many temporary files can slow down your computer. This can affect the download and upload speed. You can get rid of these temporary files to improve download and upload speed.
Deleting temporary files will not affect the performance of your applications.
- Press Windows + R at the same time to open Run.
- Enter the following in the Run box. and press Enter.
- Select all files in the temp folder, right-click any file, and choose Delete.
- Right-click the trash bin on your desktop and select Empty Trash.
Using Download Manager
The most common ways to download and upload files in Windows 10 are not fast enough. There are more efficient and faster ways to upload and download files.
You can use the download manager instead of the default file download tool. These download managers use multi-threaded download, which increases your speed.
For uploading files, you can use the upload tool that provides the service where you upload the files. This sometimes provides better download speeds than the web method.
Use another web browser
If your default web browser does not download files fast enough, you can change your browser to speed up the download. Some browsers are not optimized to take full advantage of your internet speed.
If you are using Chrome you can switch to Firefox and see if it helps improve your speed, etc.
Remove viruses and malware from your computer
One way to improve the download and upload speed in Windows 10 is to protect your computer from viruses and malware. Various viruses can limit download and upload speed.
Get a good antivirus program and use it to scan and remove viruses and malware from your computer.
Change WiFi Password
Perhaps someone knows your Wi-Fi password and is using your connection to download files or stream content. This is consuming your internet bandwidth. As a result, the download and upload speed will decrease.
One way to kick others out of your network is to change your WiFi password Then don’t share your password with anyone.
- Open your router’s settings page. On most routers, you can access this page by typing 192.168.1.1 in your web browser.
- Log into your router as an administrator. Most routers use admin as username and password.
- On the Settings screen, click Wireless Settings at the top.
- Select “Wireless Security” from the left sidebar. Your router may not have this option, but it should look similar.
- In the right sidebar, enter the new password for your WiFi network in the Security Key field.
- Click OK at the bottom to save your changes. Be sure to read our other tips for keeping your Wi-Fi secure.
Upgrade your internet plan
And the last thing you can do to increase your download and upload speed is to upgrade your current internet data plan. Data rates have their own speed limits. You should get a plan that is fast enough for your needs.
After updating your tariff plan, restart your router. You can then increase your download and upload speed.
Are you satisfied with the download and upload speed of your Windows 10 PC? Have you ever changed any parameters to improve your speed? Let us know in the comments below.