How to Install Chrome OS on Macbook or iMac.
While we cannot install Chrome OS, we can install the open source Chromium OS software that anyone can install, modify, and use as they see fit. But this requires some technical knowledge. Luckily, we have developers like Neverware who have modified Chromium OS and made it easier to install on Mac.
Also Read: How to Install Chrome OS on Any Windows Laptop or PC
Google Chrome OS vs. Cloud-Ready OS
Like Google’s Chrome OS, Neverware developed an OS based on the open source Chromium OS project. They took the source code from Chromium and added their own code to create a working OS. Cloud-Ready looks and works the same as Chrome OS, and the best advantage of Cloud-Ready than Chrome OS is that you can install it on a wide variety of hardware, including Macs and Macbooks.
Like Chrome OS, Cloud-Ready also sends you regular updates to improve features. And it is as stable as Chrome OS. But there is a caveat: while you can run Linux apps on Cloud-Ready, you can’t install Android apps on it, which Chrome OS can do.
Neverware has said it will support Android apps in the future, but there are currently no signs of such an update.
How to install Cloud-Ready on any Mac or MacBook
1. Go to the Neverware website, scroll down until you see the option for personal, home use. Click here. You can also follow this link.
2. Here you can see download links for Windows, Mac and Chromebook.
3. In the Mac section, download the 64-bit zip file.
4. Now unzip the image file using the Unarchiver app.
5. Now open your Chrome browser, if you haven’t installed it before, download Chrome and install it now.
6. From the Chrome Web Store, download the Chromebook Repair Utility by clicking the Add to Chrome button.
7. Then click “Add Application” in the pop-up window.
8. The Chromebook Repair Utility is installed and appears on the Apps page of your Chrome browser. The applications page should be displayed automatically, if it is not, enter chrome: // apps in the address bar of your Chrome browser.
9. Open the Recovery app on the Apps page and this screen will appear immediately after.
10. Click the gear icon at the top and select the Use Local Image option.
11. Then find the image that you extracted with the unzip tool.
12. Insert an 8GB or 16GB USB drive and select it. If this happens, the data on the USB drive will be lost, so please back up your data first.
13. This process will install a cloud-ready OS to the USB stick. When finished, remove the USB stick. And you are ready to install the cloud OS using your USB stick.
14. Now you need to boot your computer using USB. To do this, you need to change your custom boot. Restart your device and press and hold the Option key to open boot options.
15. Then select the USB drive that has Cloud Ready installed.
16. The device will boot from the Cloud Ready USB drive.
17. Then click “Let’s Go” to get started. This may take a few minutes as the OS boots from USB.
18. Connect to the Internet using an Ethernet or Wi-Fi cable.
19. The OS will check for the latest updates and then prompt you to sign in using the email address associated with your Google account. I recommend that you don’t log in right away.
20. You can use a cloud-ready OS by booting directly from a USB stick every time. Therefore, if you do not want to install to your hard drive, you can continue to login. But if you want to erase the entire Mac OS and install Cloud Ready Natively on the system, read this article.
21. Installing a part is so easy, but now just check if the whole device is working correctly or not. Check your Wi-Fi, keyboard, mouse or trackpad, etc. If something doesn’t work as expected, it might be a hardware compatibility issue, so don’t install the OS as it’s incompatible with your hardware.
However, if everything is in order, you can proceed to the next step of installing Chrome OS. Also, do not forget to back up your computer data to the cloud or to an external hard drive, after installing the OS, all your data on the computer will be lost.
22. To install, click the time in the lower right corner and click the “Install OS” radio button in the quick settings panel.
23. Then click on SET CLOUD READY again.
24. When the installation process is complete, turn off the device, remove the USB storage device and turn on the device again. You can see that Cloud Ready has been successfully installed on your computer.
Comment on “How to Install Chrome OS on Macbook or iMac”