How To Record a FaceTime Call & Other VOIP Calls On PC & Mobile.
Would you like to record a conversation with a loved one or friend? How about recording a group meeting with your boss or teammates? With FaceTime, you can record calls directly in the app and save them for later.
FaceTime is a chat app that lets you chat with family, friends, or colleagues, whether they are in your area or around the world. If you have an iOS device or Mac, you can stay connected with others and record clear audio video chats to listen to or watch later, just in case you missed something that you shared or want to take notes.
Like Zoom, FaceTime lets you hold group meetings and bring up to 32 people with a Mac or iOS device together in one call, and share your screen Read to learn how to record FaceTime and other VoIP calls on your computer or mobile device.
How to Record a FaceTime Call
Record Facetime Call on Mac
- Open FaceTime on Mac and press Command + Shift + 5 to open Screen Recording / Screen Capture options.
Record Facetime Call on Your Mac
- Open the FaceTime app on your Mac and press Command + Shift + 5 to open options Screen Recording / Screen Capture.
- Click Options.
- In the Save To section, select a save location.
- Then go to the Microphone section and click Built-in Microphone.
- Click Record Selected Part or Record Entire Screen to select a recording area.
- Click Record to start recording your screen and start a FaceTime call.
- When you end the FaceTime call, click Stop Recording. To view the recording, open the file from the location where you saved it.
How to Record a FaceTime Call on iPhone
There is no built-in tool that lets you record your screen on iPhone, but you can use a Mac to record a FaceTime call on iPhone.
- To do this, use the Lightning cable to connect your iPhone to your Mac, open the Applications folder on your Mac, and select QuickTime.
- Go to the menu bar and select File New Movie Record.
- In the QuickTime window, click the arrow next to the red record button, select your iPhone from the list of available cameras, and unlock it so it appears in QuickTime on Mac.
- Turn up the volume in QuickTime and open FaceTime on iPhone. Click Record in QuickTime on Mac and start a FaceTime call on your iPhone.
- When you finish talking, click Stop in QuickTime to stop recording.
- Click File Save, name the entry, choose a location to save it, and click Save.
How to Record Other VoIP Calls on PC and Mobile
You can use several FaceTime alternatives like Skype, WhatsApp, Zoom, Facebook Messenger, and many others that work with all major platforms, not just Apple products. We’ll take a look at how to record Skype calls and third party apps that you can use to record other popular VoIP call services.
How to record a Skype call
Skype has built-in recording functionality for the web (Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers only), desktop and mobile devices. The process is the same for all platforms, with some minor differences with the mobile app.
Each audio or video is 30 days long, but if you want to keep it for future sharing or reference, you can save it as an MP4 file on your device.
To record a Skype call:
- Open Skype on your desktop, web, or mobile device, select the person you want to call and click or tap the Call button.
- Click Video Call or Call to start a video or audio call. Alternatively, click the name of the person you want to call and click the video or audio call icons at the top of their profile window to place the call.
- After connecting, click More (three dots in the lower right corner of the screen)
- Select Start Recording.
- A recording start notification will appear in the upper left of the screen. Your contact will also see a notification that you are recording screen.
- To stop recording, click the three dots again and select Stop Recording or Just End Call.
- To view or listen to the recording, go to the Skype chat window and click the thumbnail inside the chat.
- The recording will open in its own video window, where you can play, pause, or use the slider to fast forward or rewind to a specific point. You can also download the recording as an MP4 file by clicking the menu in the upper right corner of the thumbnail and choosing the Save to Downloads option. If you are using a mobile device, tap a thumbnail and select the option you want.
- If you want to share the recording with someone, click the menu next to the thumbnail and select Forward. If you no longer need the entry, return to the menu and click “Delete”.
Third-party apps to record VoIP calls on PC and mobile
If you are using Zoom, we have detailed instructions on how to record a Zoom meeting and how to manage your Zoom recording history. However, for apps like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and others for which you might want to record calls, a third party app will come in handy because not all of them have a built-in screen recorder.
If you have an iPhone or Android device that lacks this feature, you can use a variety of screen recording apps such as Apowersoft Screen Recorder or AZ Screen Recorder for Android, Callnote for Mac, or QuickVoice for iOS devices. For Windows PCs, check out our list of the best screen recorders for Windows 10.
Is it legal to record VoIP calls?
There are many reasons for choosing to record an audio or video call on your computer or mobile phone, ranging from legal, business and personal reasons. However, before you rush to get a third-party application or other call recording software, you need to know the legality of your actions in order not to go to court. Case law varies from one jurisdiction to another, so you will find that in one country it is allowed to record conversations for possible use as evidence, while in others it is not.
Ideally, you should not violate other people’s fundamental freedoms or human rights, so you should at least inform the other party that you will record the conversation and get their consent. If they refuse, you won’t be able to record the call.
For personal use, such as keeping a memory tape or for interviews, or in other cases where the recording will not be used for legal purposes, these calls may be recorded.