How To Update tvOS on Apple TV.
Each fall, Apple releases a major update to tvOS, the operating system for Apple TV. Apple adds exciting new features throughout the year with minor updates. For example, did you know that you can now use your Apple TV as a HomeKit Hub?
If you haven’t used your Apple TV in a while, it might be time to update your tvOS. If you are forgetful, you can also turn on the automatic update feature. If you’re adventurous, you can get tvOS beta updates on your Apple TV (and, unlike the iPhone beta, you can join the beta in just a couple of clicks).
How to Manually Update tvOS on Apple TV (4G and 4K Models)
The 4th generation Apple TV was released in 2015 and is very different from the older version. The update method for new models (including the new 4K model
- Turn on your Apple TV and from the Control Panel go to the Settings app.
- Select the System option here.
- On the System screen, go to the Software Updates section.
- You will now see the current tvOS version on the left side of your screen. To update your software, click the Update Software button.
- Select the Download and Install option from the pop-up window to instantly download and install the tvOS update.
- Apple TV will now show the download bar.
- Once downloaded, the installation process will start instantly. You will see tvOS prepare and install the update.
- After installing the update, Apple TV will restart, and when you return to Control Panel, your Apple TV will have the latest tvOS installed.
How to update the 3rd generation Apple TV
Apple continues to provide updates to the older 3rd generation Apple TV. If you’re using an older model, follow these steps to update your Apple TV software.
- First, open the Settings app and select General Software Updates.
- Select “Software Update” here.
- If there is an update, download and install it.
Your Apple TV will download and install the update. Make sure you haven’t unplugged your Apple TV during the process.
How to turn on tvOS automatic updating on Apple TV
If you want your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD (which is a great alternative to Google Chromecast) to always have the latest operating system, you can set them to automatically install new updates when they become available.
- To do this, go to Settings System Software Updates.
- Here, enable the “Update Automatically” option.
If you’re using an older version of Apple TV, go to Settings General Software Updates and turn on Automatically Update here.
How to get tvOS Beta updates on Apple TV
To receive beta updates for iOS or iPadOS, you need to subscribe to Apple’s public beta program or download a developer profile. Getting beta updates on tvOS is much easier.
- Select Settings System Software Updates.
- Here, select the Get Beta Updates option.
- From the pop-up window, select the Get Beta Updates option.
- Apple will ask you to agree to their terms. Here, select the “Agree” option.
- Now just select the Download and Install option on the next screen.
- Apple TV will download the latest beta update and install in a couple of minutes.
How to find the current version of tvOS on Apple TV
If you would like to confirm that you have updated to the latest version of tvOS, or if you would like to check the current version of the tvOS operating system on your 4th generation Apple TV, you can do so at any time from the Settings app.
- Open the Settings app on your Apple TV.
- Here, select the General option.
- Now go to the “About” section.
- Find all the information related to your Apple TV here. Take a look at the tvOS section to see the current tvOS version number.
If you are using an older 3rd generation model, go to Settings General Update Software to see your current tvOS version.
Troubleshoot tvOS updates
Updating tvOS software on Apple TV is usually a smooth process, but sometimes issues can occur. Sometimes the software update itself can cause new problems. It is best to wait before updating tvOS to the latest version.
Also, when updating, make sure you have a stable Wi-Fi connection and that you don’t disconnect your Apple TV from the network during the installation process.
White screen problem
If your Apple TV shows a white screen with a white cord and an iTunes icon, it means your Apple TV needs to be restored using iTunes.
Repair Bricked Apple TV
If your Apple TV is locked and won’t turn on, the only thing you can do is restore it from iTunes.
- To do this, you first need to connect your Apple TV to your computer.
- You will find a USB-C port on the back of your Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K specifically for this purpose. Connect the USB-C cable to your computer (on older Apple TVs, this is the Micro-USB port).
- Then open the iTunes app on your Mac or PC. If you’re using macOS Catalina, open the Finder app instead.
- Then select your device in the sidebar and click the “Restore Apple TV” button to start the restore process.
Now that you’ve updated to the latest tvOS on your Apple TV, take a moment to explore the new features. In the Software Updates section, you will find a What’s New button to help you become familiar with new features.
Which of the new tvOS features do you like the most? Share with us in the comments below. If you’re having trouble streaming Netflix after updating your tvOS, check out our Netflix troubleshooting guide for Apple TV