Friends on Facebook. Hundreds of people, including your close friends and relatives, as well as those you meet once or twice walking their dog in the park. As in real life, you don’t always want to share the same thing with each of these people. The good news is, this is not necessary.
Facebook allows you to create your own friend lists. This is useful when you have updates that you only want to share with certain friends. You can create as many friends lists as you like and separate your professional contacts from your personal ones.
Personalized Facebook Friends Lists help you organize your Facebook news feed. You can also select any friend list to see a feed of messages written only by people on that list.
Create custom Facebook friend lists
First of all, you will need to log into your Facebook account on your desktop. You cannot create your own Facebook friend lists in the mobile app.
Where to find your personalized Facebook friends
- To see your personalized Facebook friends, open Facebook on your computer and go to your news feed.
- Find the Browse section on the left and select Friends Lists. If you can’t find it, click to see more and scroll down.
You will be taken to a page with lists of your friends. You will see that you already have three of them by default.
- Close friends (people with whom you might want to share exclusively).
- Acquaintances (people you may want to share less with).
- Limited (people you’ve added as friends, but just don’t want to share with them).
Remember that when you add someone to your restricted list, they will only be able to see the content you set as public or the posts in which you flagged them. However, you can create as many new lists as you like.
Alternatively, you can simply follow the link facebook.com/bookmarks/lists/ to access your friends lists.
How to create a new custom Facebook friends list
- In your Facebook feed, find the Browse section on the left and select Friends Lists.
- Select Create List.
- Name your list and add the names of the friends you want to add to this list.
- When finished, click Create. You will see a new list of friends appear among those you have by default on Facebook.
- You can also customize your list later. Click Manage List in the upper right corner to change the name of the list, edit, archive or delete it.
How to add / remove a friend from your friends list
Adding someone to your Facebook friends list is a quick and easy process.
- Go to your friend’s Facebook profile and move the cursor over the Friends button. Then select the desired list of friends from the field.
- Or go to your news feed and find the post of the friend you want to add to your friends list. Hover over the Friends button. In the “Add to another list” section, select the desired friend list.
- To remove someone from a specific friends list, move the cursor over the Friends button again. Then select the list from which you want to remove them.
How to use Facebook custom friend lists
Personalized Facebook Friends Lists are great if you’re someone who’s always looking for ways to improve your Facebook privacy Here are some options for how you can use this feature to better interact with Facebook.
Use Lists to Organize Your Facebook Friends
Once you’ve created a list, you can post updates to specific people on Facebook. For example, post something only to your colleagues or friends who live in your hometown. Using lists, you can also see updates from specific groups of people.
Click on your friends list and Facebook will generate a news feed that only contains updates from people who are on that list.
You can change your lists at any time and users won’t receive notifications when you add or remove them from a specific list.
Use custom Facebook friends to filter content
If you want to hide your Facebook updates from certain friends, you can do so in separate posts or by changing your general privacy settings.
- By default, Facebook allows you to select one of the following options: Everyone, Friends Only, or Friends of Friends. Select Customize to apply your personalized friends lists instead.
- For individual posts, when you share a status update, look for the padlock icon in the bottom right corner of your post. This way, you can control who sees your content on Facebook in every single post. You can also do this when editing the settings for your photo albums.
Make a backup plan
Even if you’re the only person with access to your personalized Facebook friends lists, don’t forget what Facebook is. Social networks and information exchange. So make sure you have a plan in case one of your friends discovers that you are sharing information with other friends that they may not have seen.
If you don’t want people to talk, try hiding your Facebook friends completely from others.
Comment on “How to Use Facebook Custom Friends Lists To Organize Your Friends”